My final project for this semester is a digital exhibit about the history of Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl in America. It chronicles the life of the book from it’s first publication in 1952 all the way up until today. I tried to cover as much as possible while still making it move quickly so as to keep peoples attention. However, this was harder than I thought it would be.
I’ll be honest, going into this project I thought that I already knew a good deal about working with digital creation tools. Boy was I wrong. At first I thought I would use Omeka, but then I realized that Omeka works better if you have a larger archive of material. So I switched to Storymaps. It was easier to work with still labor intensive. You have to think so carefully about what text and images you use.
One problem I encountered that I think was unique to my project was that it really hard to find reports of banned books. For the most part book banning isn’t reported much in the media. Eventually I found the some resources that helped but it took a while.
All in all I had a great time working on this project and I hope you all enjoy! Here’s the link: